Use the RCWData linked from the Lab section of our ELC page. I fixed the original shapefiles by exporting them to a file geodatabase.
Attribute table information: baac: basal area per acre (ft2) cuft: cubic foot volume per acre (ft3) age2018: December 31, 2018 age (For this exercise, assume you are generating a report for December 31, 2019)
Hints from today:
1 create a field “totalVolume”
2. use field calculator to populate this field (cuft * acreage)
3. select the records according to the criteria (either acreage >= 25 or select by location)
4. summarize the cover type attribute table (right-click on the type field > summarize… save the output as a text file)
5. open the text file you just created in excel
Produce a histogram of ages for the combined ‘evergreen forest’, ‘deciduous forest’, and ‘mixed forest’ stands. Use 5-year age classes (0 to 5; 5 to 10; 10 to 16; …). Looking for a professional very nice graph; please format your histogram (colors, label axes, title, etc). If you are unsure, GOOGLE “examples of quality histograms”
- Generate a summary table showing the mean age, mean basal area, and total cuft volume for each individual cover type for stands 25 acres and larger. Total volume is the product of cuft and total acres. Use the following table formatting and ensure types are shown as the rows, statistics along the columns (looking for a
professionalvery nice quality table):
- Generate a summary table showing the mean age, mean basal area, mean cuft volume per acre, and total volume of each individual stand type of stands that intersect (plus-or-minus 10m) to features in the DetailedRiver layer. Format your summary table using the above format.
FLIP GRID assignment: Give me a short explanation (< 1.5 minutes) of how the coordinate system YOU selected for the lab 4 analyses affect your answer. Specifically, tell me 1) what coordinate system you used and how (or why) you decided to use it and 2) how you think your answers might differ if you chose the wrong one. (Yes I am expecting you to recall the lessons learned from last week’s lab). Lab 4 FLIPGRID assignment address: https://flipgrid.com/fc8265 (password fanr3800)
Upload your tables to the Lab 7 ELC Assignment folder.